Think you can't get in veggies before 8am? Try making a savory breakfast muffin over the weekend and have a grab-n-go treat every morning for weeks. This combo is sherry mushrooms, fresh rosemary and grated parmesan, but the sky's the limit here. Try spinach and feta, faux sausage and mozz, sage and mushrooms, scallions and red pepper - get creative and then get to work with a healthy breakfast in your belly!
Mushroom Rosemary Parmesan Breakfast Muffins
Servings: Makes about 20 muffins, 1 muffin per serving
Time: About 15 minutes active; 40 minutes total
Price: About $5.75 total; $0.29 per muffin
Nutrition (per serving):
Saturated fat: 0.51g
1 1/2 cups soy milk (low fat milk will work fine as well)
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 Tbsp EVOO
1/2 lb mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp SnP, each
2 Tbsp sherry or sherry vinegar
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped finely
1/4 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, pour in soy milk and white vinegar. Let sit 10 minutes to make a soy buttermilk.
3. In a medium skillet over medium heat, add EVOO. When hot, add mushrooms, SnP, sherry and rosemary. Sauté until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool.
4. In a large bowl, beat eggs and add cheese. Pour in soy buttermilk and whisk well.
5. Add flours, baking powder and baking soda and whisk to incorporate well.
6. Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full and bake for 20-22 minutes until puffed and golden. Let sit in pan 5 minutes, then remove to a wire cooling rack. Repeat with remaining batter.