Summer's End Rigatoni
Time: About 30 minutes active; 90 minutes total
Price: About $20.50 total; $2.05 per serving
Nutrition (per serving):
Saturated fat: 5.2g
1 head garlic
2 Tbsp EVOO, divided
1 tsp SnP, divided
1 large onion, small dice
1 lb eggplant, small dice
1 lb zucchini, small dice
1 large green pepper, small dice
2 lbs tomatoes, small dice
1 cup fresh basil, sliced, divided
1 tsp red pepper flakes (this makes a spicy sauce!)
1 tsp sugar
1 lemon, zested
1 lb whole wheat rigatoni
8 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut off the top of the head of garlic. Place in a sheet of foil and pull up the sides. Add 1 tsp EVOO and 1/4 tsp SnP. Bake 45 minutes. Remove and let cool. (For more photos and instructions, see my Roasted Garlic Rosemary Rolls recipe.)
2. In a large skillet, heat remaining EVOO over medium heat. Add onion, eggplant, zucchini, and pepper. Sauté for 10 minutes until softened and slightly browned.
3. Add tomatoes, 1/4 cup fresh basil, red pepper flakes, sugar, and lemon zest. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of salted water for 8 minutes, until al dente. Drain, rinse and set aside.
5. Squeeze roasted garlic into vegetable mixture, and add grated mozzarella and rigatoni. Stir well.
6. In a cooking sprayed 9x13 casserole dish, pour and spread out the mixture. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes.
7. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining basil and Parmesan cheese. Bake 15 minutes more. Remove and let cool 15-20 minutes. Serve hot.