Looking to make a low calorie sweet protein bar, I quickly realized that one of the best vegetarian ingredients with high protein and low calories is actually savory egg whites. One quarter cup of egg white has 30 calories, 6.4g of protein, and no fat, carbs or cholesterol. To add some flavor, I packed it with veggies, herbs and a bit of cheese. Make a couple of batches and snack on these all week for breakfast or post-workout.
Mini Italian Egg White Frittatas
Time: About 10 minutes active; 35 minutes total
Price: About $8.60 total; $0.70 per serving
Nutrition (per serving):
Saturated fat: 0.48g
1/2 cup dried tomatoes
1 small red onion, chopped
1 cup spinach, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp SnP each
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup parsley, chopped
2 cups egg whites
1/4 cup fat free milk
1oz Parmesan, grated
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Meanwhile in a small bowl, add dried tomatoes and cover with warm water. Let stand 10 minutes, then drain and chop.
2. In a medium skillet over medium heat sprayed with cooking spray, sauté onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add spinach, garlic, oregano, SnP and red pepper flakes, and sauté 2-3 minutes more. Remove from heat, and add parsley and dried tomatoes. Let cool.
3. Whisk together egg whites and milk.
4. In a 12-cup muffin pan sprayed with cooking spray, distribute veggie mixture evenly. Then pour egg white-milk mixture over top.
5. Bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over top and cook 5 minutes more. Remove and let cool 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve warm, cold or at room temperature.